I saw this article and it really resonated with me. Just about everything agrees perfectly with my experiences and feelings, so I figured I’d share it. The author mentions 10 myths about introverts:
- Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
- Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
- Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.
- Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
- Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
- Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
- Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.
- Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.
- Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
- Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
I agree 100% with his observations on these, but I think myth #10 is especially problematic. In an Extrovert-dominated world – I often see people treating introversion as a personality disorder that needs to be fixed. Extroverts need to learn that we are what we are and being different from the majority does not mean there’s something wrong with us introverts.
I never knew that we were actually wired differently, but I guess that’s not particularly hard to believe. I find it fascinating, and definitely plan to do some more research on this, but then I’m fascinated by anything vaguely related to how the brain works, so that might just be me.